ARC is a recreational program that introduces participants aged 7 to 18 (jr ARC is for participants aged 5 & 6) to alpine ski racing in a fun and friendly environment. Over the 11 weeks, athletes will improve their fundamental skiing skills while free-skiing and will work on race tactics during gate training. Athletes will participate as part of Team Afton in four Midwest Snowsports Development League (MDSL) race days at Afton or other nearby ski areas.
The program will follow the US Ski and Snowboard Association guidelines for developing alpine ski racers with a balance of free skiing, focused drills and training in gates. USSA Training Systems Overview and USSA Training System Matrix
This program is perfect for the young person who wants to try racing without having to commit to a more intensive USSA program of training and racing or wants to supplement their high school racing program with additional training and coaching.
What to Expect
- 11 weeks, 28 hours of skill development in with a mix of gate training and skill development in a free-skiing environment
- 4 race days consisting of a GS and SL race each day.
- Participation in USSA pre-season dryland training.
- A positive, supportive, team environment regardless of the racing skills of the participant.
- Participant can choose between enrolling in the Saturday or Sunday programs.
- Additional Tuesday evening (6:30pm-8:30pm)
Ages: 7 to 18 ARC; 5 & 6 Jr ARC
Skill Level: Intermediate or above skiers able to ski comfortably and in control on all hills at Afton Alps.
Disciplines: Ski - Slalom and Giant Slalom
- Saturday program: Dec. 8 through Mar 2. No classes on Dec. 22 and 29.
- Sunday program: Dec. 9 through Mar. 3. No classes on Dec. 23 or 30.
Times: 9am-2pm (with break for lunch)