As it Happens.... Team AFTON 2/20 - 2/26
Bob and Felicia say Thank You! What a weekend that was – PAJC! Special thanks to Anne Brust and her team putting together this incredible weekend! This is what the week looks like for Team Afton.
April showers….. in February?!
Our final week of qualifying for the JC’s is this weekend – at Welch Village. SLALOM is on the docket, so we will be largely focusing on that this weekend. However, we still have some GS for U14 and under (including Rising Stars) set for Sunday (not part of JC qualifying). If you’re a U14 and under, be sure to bring your GS skis along with your SL gear ever day this week. Of course, today, Monday, it was a bit damp out there – so Afton Alps elected to close. We will resume Tuesday with our normal schedule. Be sure to register for this weekend’s events at Welch (unless that changes – stay tuned). Registration for Rising Stars is included in their season registration, but everyone else needs to go to myUSSA.
Spring is around the corner. We have several options looming, in various age categories. U19-U21 R/C Champs at Winter Park, March 11-14 (all our FIS skiers have been intented for this event – we will need to know your interest). GS Spectacular at Vail & Beaver Creek (early April) and Loveland Derby (April) are both super fun events, and open to all ages (well most ages). We need to gage your interest for these events as well. Our calendar on Teamafton.com/calendar has a lot of the options. Got questions? Ask!
Transition time…. Regular Season – Spring Season. Recharge your batteries. Eat. Sleep. Reflect. Motivate.
Below is the schedule for the week for Associates, Rising Stars, USSA, and FIS.
Monday February 20th-
- NOT. Rain-rain, go away. Come back when you’re supposed to – in April, and May!
Tuesday February 21
- 6:00 pm- arrival
- 6:30 pm- to 8:30 pm Slalom and GS training for Associate, USSA, and FIS
Coaches: Tony Olin, Brad, Chauncey, Mackenzie, Rosko
- Make sure to sign up for this weekend’s races! We will be re-focusing on SL more, but don’t be surprised if we do a bit of GS. Bring your GS skis!
Wednesday February 22
- 5:00 pm- arrival for Rising Star
- 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm- Slalom and GS training for Rising Stars
- 5:30 pm- arrival for Associates, USSA, and FIS
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm- Slalom and GS training for Associates, USSA, and FIS
- 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm- Slalom training for FIS and Advanced (After 8:00 pm is tentative depending on participation demand)
Coaches: Tony Olin, MR, Max, Casey – RS, Nate – RS, Rory – RS
- Make sure to sign up for this weekend’s races – early deadline TONIGHT! We will be re-focusing on SL more, but don’t be surprised if we do a bit of GS. Bring your GS skis!
Thursday February 23
- 6:00 pm- arrival
- 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm- Slalom and GS Training for Associate, USSA, and FIS (bring speed skis to possibly free ski)
- Coaches: TonyO, Doug, Max, Rosko
- Make sure to sign up for this weekend’s races-LATE DEADLINE TONIGHT-late fees in effect! We will be re-focusing on SL more, but don’t be surprised if we do a bit of GS. Bring your GS skis!
Friday, February 24
Saturday, February 25
- 8:30 am- arrival for Rising Stars, Regular practice at Afton Alps. We will go until roughly 12:30 or 1pm (more updates on calendar).
- 7:00 – arrival for the USSA race! Welch Village
- Coaches at Afton – Mackenzie, Jack, Casey, Rory, Nate, Eric.
- Coaches at Welch – TonyO, Doug, Brad, MR, Chauncey
- Welch Village weekend
Sunday, February 26
- 7:00 – arrival for the USSA race Welch Village
- Coaches at Afton – TonyO, Doug, Rosko, MR, Casey, Rory, Nate, Eric.
Please let us know if you have any questions! We are looking forward to a great week!