Hope you all had a wonderful Summer - and are sliding into the new school year with ease. Below are the details for Team Afton’s dryland program that will be begin on Sunday September 10th.
Who: All Team Afton competition programs (USSA, Rising Stars, Associates, ARC and Freestyle), hosted by Team Afton staff. All participants are required to complete our General Liability Release prior to participating. Download, complete, and email to: AftonAlpsSkiSchool@vailresorts.com
What/Why: We will be building skills that are used in our everyday lives, in addition to preparing our bodies for the rigorous sport of ski racing. We will be focusing on agility, plyometrics, balance, strength, flexibility, coordination, mental strength, and endurance. It is important to remember that each of these skills are used throughout ski racing and as you become older it is pertinent to partake in a dryland program in order to be a successful athlete.
It is our hope that we can teach each of you the fundamentals of exercise and provide you with the momentum that you need to take with you into the 2017-2018 ski season and beyond. Committing to physical fitness is not something that you do for a couple months out of the year, it is a life long commitment that increases your longevity throughout life. Ski teams around the World have already begun preparing for the next season, including the Austrian Ski Team, http://www.skiracing.com/stories/austrian-ski-team-begins-formal-dryland-sessions, which shows that formal dryland programs are necessary to be the best in the World.
A formal setting with other friends and mentors provides an environment for each individual to push themselves beyond what they would at home or alone. Some of you may be thinking, “I am competing in soccer, volleyball, softball, football and skeet shooting, therefore I don’t need to go to dryland.” Wrong. A dryland program with Team Afton will allow your body to encounter movements that are very similar to when you are skiing, in addition to providing you with actions that will build strength that is different compared to other sports.
When: TBA - Times and locations are subject to change; please check Team Afton Calendar regularly (updates soon).
Where: TBA - Times and locations are subject to change; please check Team Afton Calendar regularly (updates soon).
What you need to bring: Workout attire including running shoes, water bottle with water, and a fitness stability ball if you have one. Mtn. Bike in good working order, along with helmet, are required when we bike.
Cost: A completed liability release is required for all participants. View release: PDF, complete, scan and email to: AftonAlpsSkiSchool@vailresorts.com. Dryland is included in our USSA programs (USSA, Rising Stars, Associates). For ARC and Freestyle, a nominal fee of just $50 for the entire 2+ month program.
Where to sign up: call Afton Alps to register: 651-436-5245 x278
A few detailed reminders from Summit Orthopedics for midweek sessions.
· The facility doors are set to lock at 8:00 PM. Entry to the building (Summit) will not be possible after this time. More of an FYI if parents are picking athletes up at the facility - please do not be late.
· We ask that all equipment is put back as it was found. Our staff often have certain items in specific places and areas for ease of working with patients.
· We also ask that the staff workspace in the back is not utilized or entered. Patient privacy regulations require that only clinical staff have access to this area. Please ask where the bathrooms are located in the main workout area.
· The Alter-G treadmill is not available for use, as anyone operating must be trained on how to properly and safely use the machine.
· Additionally, we need to confirm if you will be training on July 5th, due to the 4th of July holiday, so we can adjust the doors on this day if needed.
· All athletes participating must have a Summit Orthopedics liability waiver (attached) signed by a parent before they can be active in the facility.
· Summit Orthopedics 4123 Radio Drive | Woodbury, MN 55129 Phone (651) 968-5685 www.summitortho.com
Please feel free to reach out to Tony Olin or MR Hostetter if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you on Monday! Thanks!